Convocation of Poets: A Poetry Workshop
Poetry is language of the Heart and Soul, of deep Imagination and lived Wisdom.
It speaks intimately from and to our bodies and delights and engages our minds.
Through it, we experience life more deeply, richly, magically.
When we engage the art of poetry we give expression to what is in us that is yearning to be seen, heard, felt and shared.
We come to know ourselves and meet others on sacred ground.
“I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the Heart’s affections, and the truth of Imagination.” – John Keats
What Is a Convocation of Poets?
This ongoing poetry workshop will give you an opportunity to make poetry a part of your life in a rich, sustained way.
Open to poets at all levels of experience. We:
- Dive deeply into the poetry within you and around you.
- Hone your unique poetic voice and skills. Explore new forms, styles and approaches. Learn aspects of the art and craft of poetry, including tools of revision to make your poems shine.
- Ignite your inspiration, discovering a wealth of poetic possibilities and expanding your poetic palette.
- Learn methods to sustain your creative life and reach your creative goals.
- Be a part of a creative community of other wonderful poets, where you can share your inspirations and challenges, thrive together and form lasting friendships.
Poetry workshop sessions meet alternate weeks for 2.5 hours for six months. Group is limited to 8 participants.
During our sessions, we:
- Discuss your poems-in-progress. The group’s constructive feedback is carefully structured to encourage you to keep writing, exploring and honing your craft.
- Delve into aspects of the art and craft of poetry, such as metaphor, line breaks, revision and more.
- Explore practical tools to sustain your creative life and realize your writing aspirations.
- An optional poem prompt to help you to explore new poetic terrain and write new poems.
- Practices and exercises to deepen your engagement with the world of poetry and cultivate your own writing life.
- Reading of poems between sessions.
- A poem buddy to check in with between sessions to support your writing and develop creative community.
Plus, a celebratory evening reading to share our finished poems and celebrate our accomplishments.
In a private home in Nevada City, off Ridge Rd.
Dates & Times: TBA
$480 for 6 months.
May be paid in 2 installments of $240 each.
You will also need to purchase a copy of the poetry anthology that we will be reading. Instructions given upon registration.
How to be a part of it:
If you are interested in joining the next open session of the Convocation of Poets, email me here.
Because of the small class size, this course can only run with full commitment. Once you register, you are making a commitment to the full duration. You are responsible for paying in full, regardless of how often you attend. There is no pro-rating of price for classes that you miss.
What I love about the group and group process is multi-layered. A lovely camaraderie was developed and I’ve come to care deeply about the other poets in the group. They have become friends in a way I would never have expected. From that sprung an experience of validation that I don’t believe I could have felt outside of group. To hear others refer to themselves and to me as “poet” has been transformational.
You’re a wonderful teacher, Max. Your style is warm, encouraging, informative, practical and infused with humor.”
You set a tone that I believe must come from your love and dedication of and to poetry that is inspiring. You obviously love what you are doing. You are alive and in the moment and are not offering any sort of “canned” approach. The tone is one of acceptance and encouragement. At the same time you are honest in your feedback which gives others in the group permission to be honest with their reactions to others’ work (as well as our own).
The experience has enabled me to continue down the path of self acceptance and compassion that is priceless.
New and unexpected vistas open up that renews my interest in life and living.
I have gotten all that I hoped for and more.
It has a living energy that has emerged from your and the other poets efforts to grow a better world for ourselves and everyone.